Thursday, September 08, 2005
far far way.....



A few weeks ago I decided that today I would visit a farm field day at Newdigate. Its one of the two big field days and attracts more than a hundred major exhibitors and thousands of visitors. I left home at 5am and got there around 9am. The trip was 300+km each way in my charade with a few minor stops. I was going to take my F350 but the charade is MUCH better on fuel. With the cost of fuel being AU$1.40 a litre it cost me $50 for the trip instead of $120.
The field day was rained out a bit, and very windy. I wandered around and looked at the stuff and took a few pictures.
The green machines are MERLO multifarmers and I was interested in them as we have one.
The wool fleece is from a sheep that had been treated with a chemical shearing enzime that causes all of the fibres to break at the same length, removing the need for shearing and gives and easier way of handling the cut fleece. We may try this at some time for our small herd (8) of sheep but we are concerned about meat contamination. Apparently it is a natural enzime produced by sheep that shed their own wool.